Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Not Guilty

Went to court today to contest a ticket I got from an accident this spring. It had been raining earlier and I lost control when I hit a slick spot on a curve in the road while breaking. Hit the jersey barrier, totaled the car, but didn't hit anybody else and I wasn't hurt. The cop got there afterwards and issued a ticket for driving faster than reasonable. I got to court at 8:30, which is when they told me to be there, despite the court not opening until 9:00. They say it's so that people get there on time. I figure, if "on time" is 9:00, tell people 9:00 and let them decide how early they want to get there. I was one of the last cases being heard, so I sat around for about two hours before being called up. It went very quickly; the judge asked the cop if he saw the accident, "no", he then asked if there were any witnesses, *sound of crickets*, asked me how I plead, "not guilty." Judge: "not guilty." It took all of 30 seconds. Got back to my car just as the meter expired (wouldn't that be funny, getting a parking ticket while contesting a moving violation), went home, and now I'm at work.

In other news, my sister is coming over to take a couch and foreman grill (we're getting a newer, better grill) and have me install some programs on her new iBook. She has OS 10.3, while I have OS 10.2, so I'm going to borrow her installation CD and upgrade my laptop, assuming it's compatible.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

wait, so you got in this accident on the way to court?

anyway, gotta love a legal system where they give you a ticket they know they cant uphold in court, and you can get another ticket for something you didnt do because they dont have a case for what you actually did. now I'm confusing myself.

Anna said...

What are you going to do with only two couches and a futon?

aducore said...

Actually, we got the couch back, so everything is as it would be, disregarding the slight relativity induced slowed aging of the couch as it was moved down to Virginia and back. Like people traveling on a space ship near the speed of light for a long period of time away from, and then back to, Earth... they age little, while people back on Earth age more. So if you get here, and the couch seems younger than you'd expect, blame Virginia, or relativity, or some third thing.