Friday, October 15, 2004

Loan Consolidation Fun

So I'm trying to have my student loans consolidated, now that I've graduated and have a job. This job, however, lets me take a few classes per semester for free (since it's a faculty position at UMD) which means that I still show up as enrolled at the university. Now, the loan consolidation agency won't let me consolidate my loans as long as I'm enrolled. So despite the fact that I have graduated, am no longer taking out student loans or paying tuition, and by all reasonable accounts should be starting to take care of my loans, the loan agency won't let me move ahead as long as, apparently, I have an interest in learning. Now, the plus side is that as long as they don't let me consolidate my loans, I don't accrue interest on one loan (the other has been accruing interest since I was given the money, and I'll pay that one off first). The minus side is that if interest rates go up between now and when I actually can consolidate my loans, I get stuck with a shitty deal. It's not really the money that angers me, it's the stupid bureaucracy. There are probably more details that would make this post more/less interesting (you pick), like my social security number, bank account number, or various insecurities... but who wants to know those? You, 212-xx-xxxx?

No comments: