Monday, April 04, 2005

Alcoholistic Medicine

What a week. So many people died, and the only one I really cared about was Mitch Hedberg. The rest really didn't effect me. As far as the Pope goes, I'm betting that, like all U.S. Presidents, he will be another white Christian male. OK, so the Christian part is excusable.

I'm turning into an alcoholic, but at least I'm surrounded by friends whose drinking problems make mine look less raging. I've been to a bar 3 times in the past week. The same bar, too, so I'm a boring alcoholic. Wednesday we went to Santa Fe for cheap Yuengling and buffalo wings, but they were all out of buffalo wings so really it was just for the cheap beer. I met up with Laura from my art class there, and she seemed to get along well with all my friends, so that's cool. Friday night Karen, Nina, Paul and I all went to Santa Fe because we had nothing else to do. Then Saturday night after we got dinner Laura and I went to Santa Fe again with a bunch of her friends. I'm starting to recognize waiters there. Is that a bad thing? Also, Tuesday night Tim and I bottled the beer we're making (an Irish stout), so that should be ready for consumption tomorrow. At least some studies support the claim that drinking in moderation is good for you. I didn't get shitfaced any of the times at the bar, so really I'm just drinking for my health.

Sunday afternoon I went home to hang out with Jeremy for a while, then when our parents got back from NJ we went out to Red Lobster. I'd never been to a Red Lobster before and probably won't ever go again. The food wasn't horrible, but it wasn't particularly good either.

I've started lifting weights at the gym on campus, and it is pathetic. The first time I went I could hardly lift anything. I blame that on running since it purportedly decreases muscle mass. I couldn't even lift what I usually start out with after having not exercised in a while. I've gone a couple more times since then, once with Jeremy, and he can definitely lift more than I can. I'm still not worried about our post graduation brawl, but I am going to have to prepare for this. He's benching a good 40 pounds over me. I'm beginning to notice a slight difference in strength, and I think that within a month I should have caught up with him. I just need to stop running so much and maybe swim or something. I tried swimming Saturday morning, and did a 250 before deciding to quit. Anna, what do you know about combining swimming with weight training?

5 comments:

Anna said...

Swimming and weight lifting go well together. Considering that swimming is a resistance sport and a weird combination on aerobic and anerobic exercise, it will work well with both the running and the lifting.

Swimming makes you strong. I know this because I haven't swam in a year and I'm getting all weak and my shoulders are getting all puny.

Unknown said...

excuses for why you drank so much this past week:

wanted to drink as much as you could before the pope died and water could no longer be turned to wine.

remorse for the loss of the man responsible for "if the glove dont fit, you must acquit"

Because, due to frank(?) perdue's passing, there were no more buffalo wings available,a nd you had to drink instead

to deal with the fact that after all these years, you had to finally accept that Terri Schiavo was dead.

As a tribute to Mitch Hedberg; The first and middle parts are a celebration of his life and comedy, the last part a sacrifice to him. Another part of this ritual is eating grapes... "Dude, you have to wait"

Kayla said...

Haha. yeah... you may also want to start doing circuit training at the gym and cut down on running time until you bulk up a bit. make sure you are eating lots of protein or your muscles won't break down and rebuild properly.
A free excuse to eat red meat, huzzah! :P Or, if you are Anna, lots of legumes.

Also, if you are an alcoholic, then I guess I am too. I'm rather certain I'm not, but I also don't have a personality which increases my tendency to take something and do it to excess...

Anna said...

Talk about being an alcoholic, I'm totally going to go home and drink a big old orange creamsicle vodka smoothie because Ben didn't let me buy pie and cool whip yesterday. Also, because teaching sucks and my stupid tape player broke and I need it for tomorrow.

aducore said...

If you want to be an alcoholic, you have to drink the vodka straight. Diluting it with whatever makes the orange creamsicle part just won't cut it -- unless it's just orange flavored vodka and Irish cream. Note to self: try that.

Becoming an alcoholic is easy: just remember to drink responsibly, and you're responsible for that entire bottle of vodka.