Monday, April 11, 2005

A Room with a View

Saturday morning I went to the Humane Society facility in Rockville to help build benches, mulch the area around some sidewalks, and do whatever else they needed done. It was for the community service project Jeremy needs in order to get his eagle badge. This is probably the first scout function I have been to in quite a while. I think the last time I did something with my old troop was when Tim and Kevin and I rode along with them for a while when they biked the C&O cannal a couple years ago. Before that your guess is about as good as mine. Saturday was a nice day to spend outside: a clear sky but not too hot, so I didn't notice the amount of sun I was getting. Since I was looking down most of the time, the back of my neck got a nice red hue by the end of the day. When I got back home I tried to combat it by sitting outside with no shirt on for a while, and it's starting to even out. The last thing I want is to have a beat-red neck and pasty white abdomen. I think I'm going to spend a lot of my weekends outside since I spend most of my time during the week inside an office with no windows.

Speaking of my office with no windows; I spoke with one of my bosses the other day and I will be staying on with the Department of Astronomy another year. Next year I am going to take classes that I hope will help me figure out what I should do about grad school. My current feeling is that I should go for meteorology, but not broadcast meteorology; I don't want to be a weatherman. As far as teaching, you all have made yourselves very clear as to your faith in my teaching ability, and it has finally sunk in. I would be a horrible teacher, so I have scrapped those plans. I may take another linguistics class, but I'm not sure I would be cut out to do that for grad school. I could see it being a hoby, but I can't see myself going for a career in it. Staring at clouds, on the other hand, would be an excelent way to fill both of my job requirements of 1) getting paid and 2) staring at clouds all day. I could do that now, if only my office had a window.

5 comments:

Anna said...

Thank god you've given up the idea of being a teacher. All those future generations of students can now breathe easier knowing they won't have to be befuddled by your incompetent communication skills.

Kayla said...

You and I would both make horrible teachers; I would scream at students when they didn't understand, while you would just befuddle them beyond repair to the point where they'd all decide to go to law school b/c they are gluttons for punishment as far as horrible teaching goes... oh wait...

Flushy McBucketpants said...

Have you ever considered joining a think tank?

aducore said...

Actually, I have. I just have no idea how to go about doing that. Any ideas?

aducore said...

for starters: how to walk upright.