Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Automotive not so motive

Today has been a day of cars. I went to get the oil changed in the Prizm, and on the way back from my parents house the Prelude starts to overheat. I pull off and see the radiator spewing a brownish liquid all over the engine. This liquid reminds me of what comes out of crabs when you crack them open, and that reminds me of the fact that I hadn't eaten anything all day. This liquid is then evaporating when it hits the engine block, making a nice smell and causing the car to look like it's going to explode. I take it to a service station, only to be told that they can't service my car. I guess typical cars don't have radiators these days, because I had to take it to a special service station. I take it there and wait for a couple hours, only for them to tell me that it will be a thousand dollars to fix because they have to overhaul the whole thing. I give my dad, who's in South Carolina at the time, a call asking him what he wants to do with it (it is his car, and he can be picky about things.) He says to take it to the Amoco station on New Hampshire Avenue because he knows them and they don't seem to be cheats. Now, rather than wait around for hours for a tow truck to show, I drive back to the place in Laurel to wait for a tow truck there. It's not a long drive, and whenever the car seems to get a little too warm, I pull over and stop the engine and wait for it to cool down again, as to avoid further engine damage. So that's what I'm doing now. I'm waiting for a tow truck, at which point I'll go back to the station I was at earlier to have my oil changed, with a new car and a new set of troubles, Including not having a ride from the station until my sister or brother get off work. It may be late before you hear back from me, though hopefully not.

No comments: