Monday, April 24, 2006

Stress

This week is not going to be fun...

I have a paper due tomorrow for my Philosophy of Language class... about ambiguity. It's about half done, and I'm not too worried about getting it finished on time. After class I have a teleconference with some people out at JPL, maybe my old boss at Goddard, and maybe a boss or two here in CP. It's about the status of this project JPL's working on that they want us to develop. It meshes well with my search engine, but I haven't had much time to work on it. It's been on the back burner partially since I've had a presentation to prepare for.

Oh yeah, I have a presentation on Thursday for my search engine. I've been putting some finishing touches on it, and trying to get the database it pulls the results from filled with good data, so it'll probably be ready. I still have to prepare a presentation, though, which means that some poor sap (tim?) is going to have to sit through a dry-run.

Friday, I have a meeting with the people I work with. This meeting doesn't scare me. It'll basically be a recap of the earlier meeting and my presentation, and other people talking about what they've been up to.

Then, this weekend, we're moving, which sounds relaxing. We're having a "no-furniture" party on the 29th, then I'll be living in CP again.

2 comments:

aducore said...

Update, Tuesday morning...

I'm not entirely thrilled about the paper I wrote. It's supposed to be 6 to 7 pages, but I had everything I wanted to say in 4. I wrote a page and a half of background (close to b.s. but not quite) and handed it in this morning. I figure I'll be happy with a B.

The teleconference today went better than I expected. I was under the false impression that a major part of the meeting would be going over the status of a project I have(n't?) been working on. Not getting into details, I was supposed to get a program installed on a machine I work on. Some people out in California wanted me to do this, and I've been putting it off while getting the search engine working, which I'm told by my bosses is a higher priority. This morning, in a panic, I downloaded, configured, installed, and ran the program. I was expecting more trouble than I ran into. It seems to work, but I have no idea how to get it to do what it's supposed to do. I see that it's running, but that's about it. Imagine you install a word-processor and when you run it all you get is a big, blank window asking you to select a font. Nothing else. So I asked, while we were on this topic, how to get the program to, you know, do things, and they're going to send me some information. The portion of the meeting that I was actually needed for was about 3 minutes. What a relief.

Now, I have class in an hour, a presentation on Thursday for the aforementioned search engine, and a meeting on Friday that doesn't scare me.

Then, the moving.

aducore said...

Update, Thursday afternoon...

Presentation went fairly well, I got a lot of feedback and think I know how to proceed for the time being. When all is said and done this project is going to put google, einstein, the oil industry, and the suns gravitational pull to shame, or not, it's entirely possible it'll just be a good search engine.