Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Laptop

I got a message from Comp USA late last week telling me that my laptop was ready to be picked up. I managed to make it out there on Saturday (going to rockville on a saturday afternoon two weeks before christmas was a dumb idea.) When I got there the guy at the service desk told me I owed them something on the order of $300 for parts and labor. This is despite the fact that Apple said they'd take care of it all for free and all I had to do was take my laptop to any AASP (which Comp USA is.) I asked about this, and they said something about having to give them a proof of purchase to prove that I have a waranty. I don't, however, have a waranty. I got a one-year waranty which has since expired, but this repair was covered by an extended waranty that Apple granted to any ibook within a range of serial numbers. Mine fell in that range. I asked about this, and they guy went back into the workshop, came back and argued some more, then let me take it without paying. So either the people at Comp USA are idiots and didn't read the form I filled out (which had all this information on it) or they figured they'd try to sucker me out of a few hundred dollars. On the plus side, I got to argue with a business over money, and tell a worker that I wanted to speak with his manager. A first for both. I've finally achieved the rank of annoying uppity customer.

Also, I saw Dodgeball. Hilarious.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you should have also tried to return an item without a receipt, comlained about them not having your size of something in stock, and threatened ot come back and kill everyone if they didnt give you an item for the sale price it was mistakenly marked as. then you would have been an uppity annoying customer. clearly you have never worked retail.