Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Drinking at the zoo, round two

This 3-day weekend just past wasn't as relaxing as it could have been, and I'm not sure why. I did all the stuff one would usually do to relax (I drank, I slept, I saw a movie,) but for some reason it just didn't click and now I feel like I should take the rest of the week off too.

Saturday morning Tim and I went to help Karen move some china cabinets from her aunts house to her parents house. Barbara brought her Suburban and Tim, Karen's dad, and I hauled these cumbersome wood-and-glass boxes down some stairs and into the SUV. When we were unloading the heavy one we failed to notice that the rear gate of Barbara's Suburban wasn't straight on top (due to one of those center brake lights,) and this put a lot of pressure on the cabinet, breaking the mirror set in the back. Luckily it looks like it will be easy to replace. After this, Karen, Barbara, Tim and I went to Le Madeleine for lunch, then Tim and I drove back to the place in Laurel, picked up Kevin, and headed up to Baltimore to pick up Nina and go to the Baltimore Zoo. This was the second Brew at the Zoo I've been to, and the first trip was much more successful. I was worried that the weather would be bad, but we lucked out there. Unfortunately we got there a little late, so a lot of booths ran out of their beers before we could try them. This wouldn't have bothered me so much if we hadn't been waiting in line at two of these places when they ran out. We all came back to Laurel to hang out, and on the way there we saw Parker coming home from work. She honked, we flipped her off, then she somehow passed us. I blame Tim's driving. The five of us (Parker included) went to Olive Garden for dinner, then hung out at the house for a while before I drove Nina home.

Sunday I went to the gym, then took a nap. This somehow took up most of the day. At around 9 we headed up to Nina's for a party she was having. Now, I'm not saying the party sucked (because it didn't, really,) but for a while thefacebook.com and Nina's computer were jointly the most popular person there. Parker drank too much and passed out on the futon (at least she didn't vomit) and Tim dragged me out of there before I could make a huge mistake. I must learn to limit my alcohol consumption when I'm around former girlfriends.

Monday I went to the gym, then went to my parents for the afternoon to see my family and eat dinner. Jeremy and I talked Becky into coming out to see Star Wars III instead of working on her resume (res-um-AY, res-um-AY, it still sounds weird.) I wasn't impressed with the film. Sure, the graphics were cool, and Yoda and R2-D2 kicked ass, but the dialogue was horrible, and in the last 10 minutes of the movie it appears that they lost all the futuristic looking technology from episodes I, II and most of III, and decided instead to go with 1960s style British military uniforms and huge rectangular plastic buttons. I guess maybe the retro look was coming back into style.

So that's that. Maybe it sounds like a fun weekend, and maybe it actually was and I just had too much on my mind to appreciate that, but for whatever reason today feels like a Friday, or a Thursday at the earliest. Tonight I get to go to this Boxing club, so I guess I'll figure out if it's something I want to do all summer.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, stripping down and doing the mexican hat dance in front of Nina would have been a bad idea. And no, the goats you brought as backup dancers wouldnt have made it more acceptable. I mean, goats cant dance, at best they would have been props, and personally, I think chickens would have been better if you were going for an authentic Mexican feel. All in all, it was a horribly thought out plan. But it would hav ebeen hillarious.

aducore said...

I dance, I dance, I dance,
around the Mexican hat.
I dance, I dance, I dance,
and that is the end of that.
Or is it I guess I'll keep singing.
My cell phone appears to be ringing.

I don't get it.

Kayla said...

You are crazy. Crazy. The reason the last 15ish minutes of Episode 3 looked so retro is so it would blend in more if you were to say, rent all 6 star wars movies and watch them in chronological story-telling order, rather than chronological production order...
eg, so the new ones would blend into the older three without looking funky.

Also, I wanna see this mexican hat dance with goats or chickens. Since I'm not an ex-girlfriend, I see no problem here. LOL JK

Kayla said...

Also... resume is fun stuff. Your sister should have gotten a biker gang to kidnap her and then she could help people with their resumes!

aducore said...

I understand why they did it, I just think they could have done a more graceful job with the transition. It seemed like more of a production afterthought than anything else.