Sunday, July 03, 2005

Expect a lot of these

It's 2:42 AM and I'm sitting in my office, waiting for something to happen. If the building burns down or floods, I get to go home and other people have to deal with that mess. Unfortunately, the risks of getting caught and the desire to stay employed are preventing me from taking things into my own hands. So I sit here, while all the servers run smoothly. I am the failsafe, the plan that everybody needs to have, but nobody thinks they'll need, because in all likelihood they won't. I am reminded of a day at my old job, where I showed up to work at 9 and it got started like a regular day. Then, all of a sudden, the company was getting kicked out of a colocation facility because of spam complaints (I'm still not sure if it was legitimate or not, but who cares), and I had to stay until 5:00 in the morning driving servers around the great state of Virginia. Today feels like it's going to be like that day, only more so. I got to work at 8:00 am today, and stayed until noon. I had a whole 12 hours off, and spent most of it with Tracey painting, or stripping wallpaper, and meeting a lot of her family. I got no sleep, but it was my choice so I can't complain too much. Anyway, I'm here until 6:00 in the morning. I expect that by the end of my shift I will be quite delusional, and writing much more fanciful posts.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

http://reuters.excite.com//article/20050705/2005-07-05T134242Z_01_L04309275_RTRIDST_0_ODD-RUSSIA-HOROSCOPE-DC.html

Hilarious.