Monday, July 18, 2005

This doesn't belong here

I should probably post this on codemill, but it barely qualifies so I'll leave it here. My brother got all the parts to his computer and set it up. I think he fiddled too much with it before giving me a chance to look at it, and we're having trouble booting the windows install CD or running the mobo driver's install CD (bootable). The Windows install CD freezes after saying something about checking the system configuration, and the mobo boot CD says the hard drive (SATA) is not HPA compatable, which I believe it is (apparently it's some problem with some BIOSes not reporting HPA compatability for HPA compatable SATA drives.) The funny part is that Linux installs and boots just fine. This is one of those rare occations where Linux is compatable with a setup while Windows is not. Even the hardware drivers don't like the setup, but Linux copes. I'm guessing it's because Linux doesn't use bios any more than it has to, while Windows relies on it. I think we're going to play with some IDE drives to see if that helps. Apparently Kevin ran into a similar problem when he made his computer.

Oh, we're having a party Friday night. We'll probably be playing poker earlier, so if you want to play (or if you don't feel like staying out late... ahem... ben and anna...) show up earlier, around 7ish. That's right... not around 7, or 7ish, but around 7ish. I'm going to be that vague.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Yeah, because seven is all that early.

aducore said...

wait... are you serious? 7 is late?