Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Renaissance Man

I'm having more and more trouble making up my mind lately, entering some sort of superposition of grad school decision eigenstates, if you would. This happens to me every now and then; I start getting interested in some new field, and find the resources needed to educate myself. Right now, it's physics and chemistry. I've spent a few days reading about molecular orbitals, and I think I'm starting to grasp the concepts in chemistry that I couldn't, or didn't, get in high school. Either way, having too many interests beats the hell out of having no interests, or no resources, so I'm not complaining. I'm just stating an observation.

I just finished reading Angels and Demons, and it was basically The Da Vinci Code with the details shuffled around a little. Still a good read, but I think I'm done with Dan Brown for a while. I got a copy of The Traveler, by John Twelve Hawks, and read a review comparing it to, and elevating it above, The Da Vinci Code. From what I understand it's written in the same style, and does to a big brother government what The Da Vinci Code did to the Catholic church. I'll probably read this later, since I'm in the mood for non fiction (see 1st paragraph.) I started reading the first volume of the Feynman Lectures On Physics. It's an interesting book, even though it's basically just a collection of his lectures, because it's so old. He was talking about subatomic particles, and his list was missing a lot of new particles (I didn't even see the word quark) and when he spoke about biology, he mentioned DNA and RNA, but said that nobody knew how proteins were made from RNA. Also, he labeled the base pairs A, B, C, and D. On the subject of books, does anybody know a good chemistry book they would recommend?

My brother's an eagle scout now. He outranks me, but I earn more than he does, so it all balances out. This is a short paragraph.

Tracey met my family on Saturday. She and my Mom got along well together, and both said privately afterwards that they thought the other was nice. This can mean only one thing: this relationship has got to end, now. A girlfriend who gets along with your mother is dangerous. They'll talk.

I'm getting addicted to playing Poker. Texas Holdem, international rules. I finally won a game last week, then promptly was the first one out in the next game. You win some, you lose some horribly due to going all in on a straight draw. I'm also getting addicted to Beaver. No, not the animal meat, nor the sexual reference (though both are nice), but the water sport (once again, not the sexual reference.) Some people call it Sharks and Minnows, but Stonegate Pool doesn't do that for some reason. As far as I can tell the rules for the game are the same.

Time for some blatant ego stroking/whoremongering. I've been told this picture is sexy by both Leonard (Tims little brother) and Kayla as well as some girls up in Vermont who go to school with her... If anybody can think of a funny caption, I'll upload it to my friendster account with that caption, attributed to whoever came up with it.

2 comments:

Kayla said...

You'd think being a details person you'd get it right... hehe, I was showing people the pictures of Tim's kitten, and you happened to be in a few of them.
The Vermont Law School girls in the area at the time made comments showing their appreciation of both you and the kitten.
Make no mistake, a shirtless man is no match for a cute kitten.

Kitten wins every time, it's like playing nuclear bomb in a game of rock/paper/scissors. It's not a fair fight, but a guaranteed win.

thevalrus said...

I'm sure you know that it would be folly to make a pun on the word "pussy."

That said, I'm quite enamoured of the caption "KITTEN MAN." In caps.