Thursday, May 13, 2004

Man v. Nature: The Road to Victory

We need oxygen to survive, we need clean water, various minerals, amino acids, carbohydrates. Nature is the only thing we have that provides us with what we need to survive. We depend on nature, and are a part of nature, and yet we are killing the world. Rain forest deforestation, fertilizers and plastic fibers in the oceans. The ozone hole. The witnessed extinction of species at our hands and the projected extinction of many more, including our closest living relatives: chimps. Fossil fuels. By destroying our ecosystem we destroy the only thing that puts clean air in our lungs, clean water in our stomachs when we are thirsty, and food in our stomachs when we are hungry. Smart, don't you think? Maybe we should start looking for better alternatives than our current suicidal approach to controlling the environment. But what do I know? I know I don't like what I see.

4 comments:

Anna said...

I am not going to put up with you this summer if you're in your stupid "I'm going to complain about the whole world and try to be an "intellectual" and yell at people and make stupid arguments that don't work" pretentious phase. If you're going to complain, at least have a concrete solution or do something about the destruction of the environment like closing the windows when you have the air conditioning on or turning off things when you leave the room. Or stop taking hour long showers. Stop trying to be all pretentious, it's annoying.

aducore said...

Yes, that's true, but I still put a lot more effort than most people. I recycle. I go for fuel efficient cars. I don't drive if I can walk, usually. I try to vote for people who have a responsible stance on the environment. I DO close my windows when the AC is on, AND try to keep the AC off unless other people I live with complain, or it's upwards of 90 in the house. I have very few electronics, my computer and a clock, and my monitor is always off unless I'm sitting in front of my computer. But mostly, I'm not a big consumer, so I don't supply the manufacturing/shipping industry with much business.

I think you're going in the wrong direction. Calling me pretentious is just going to piss me off. Since when do I not complain all the time? Saying I could do more than I do currently would be more constructive... And my showers are now 10 minutes, 15 max. They were never an hour.

bitch bitch bitch, we all do it. I never said I was perfect. try not to belittle good intention.

aducore said...

hmm. well, regardless, they're shorter now. I've stopped actually cleaning myself, so I can get in and out much faster. I've been timing them, and the average is about 15 minutes, though even that's been going down lately. This morning it was about 10 minutes. But I agree, I take too long in the shower. I've never denied that.

aducore said...

Your mom's the dumbest conversation ever.