Monday, June 07, 2004

^?^?^?^?^?

I've figured out the way I program, and why it takes me a long time to get something finished... I'm a perfectionist and a lot of the programs I write a large. So what ends up happening is I write a rough copy once, then write it again using better structure as I understand the problem better. Usually this means I rewrite code once, but with projects for work where they keep on changing what they ask for, or the standards change, it means I write the same program 4 or 5 times before it's finished. The nice part about this is that in the end, my code is very well structured and easy to read, and usually modular and extensible (my two favorite words.) Right now I'm working on the... let's see... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6... 6th copy of the program I'm writing for work. I've changed programming languages once (it started as horrible C code somebody else wrote which I was trying to adapt to fit the problem), added top-level features a few times which required rewriting large sections of code, and broke apart the code into separate modules a couple times (which is what I'm doing now). Once I'm done with this version, though, it will be the last.

No comments: