Tuesday, June 15, 2004

From now on I'm walking

Got a quick (read: immediate) flat today on my way to work and nearly lost control. Luckily I landed on my feet and ran with it, righted the bike and continued on my way without slowing down too much. Didn't even notice the flat until I got off work and it was starting to rain. So I rode on my flat to the bike shop across campus... it's hard to steer when your front tire is as soft as microwaved butter... and got a new tire. I'm never going back to that bike shop again; they kept my flat inner tube (I forgot to ask for it) which I could have fixed once I got home, and the guy said I should come back for a tune-up because the joint where the handle bar meets the fork was a little loose. Did he fix it? No, and on my way from the shop some kid swerved into me from the other side of the sidewalk and knocked me over. I landed on the grass and was fine, but my handle bar was now parallel to the tire rather than the traditional perpendicular configuration. It was loose enough for me to fix by hand, but it's still just annoying. It would have taken the guy 2 seconds to do there. And the last time I went to this shop I got a speedometer and they installed it but decided I didn't need the manual. And yes, before you ask, I can fix my bike on my own, put new tires on, install a speedometer, and what not, but I figure I have no big problem paying for labour at local businesses every now and then. Well, not there anymore. So I rode home shaken up from the crash; I can't remember the last time I fell off my bike, not to mention that I had a close call earlier today.


So yeah, when I drive asshole cops give me tickets, and when I ride my bike people crash into me. Every now and then my incredible luck runs out.

5 comments:

aducore said...

finally, somebody sees it my way.

aducore said...

Damage report, 24 hours later: I jammed my left ring finger and right ankle. It hurts to move them, but nothing's broken and I can use them normally, I just have to deal with a sharp pain if I put too much weight, sheer, or torsion on them. So yeah, no big deal.

Anonymous said...

I can totally remember the last time I saw you wipe out… and also kinda the last time your finger was jammed but that’s a horse of a different story or something. But anyway you wiping out is something I’ve been witness to many times so don’t act like it never happens. It’s possible that the concussions you keep getting are affecting your memory… but who cares.

Anonymous said...

that last one was from me by the way. ~Kevin

aducore said...

yeah, it just hasn't been for a while. I've have crashed a lot. But at least when I do it on my own, it's usually fun.